Established in 1970, AWWA began its journey 45 years ago, as a group of caring individuals who came together to provide social services to the less privileged individuals in the society.
- Establishment of Asian Women’s Welfare Association (AWWA)
- Commencement of AWWA Family Welfare Service
- Ang Mo Kio Community Home for the Aged
- Handicapped Children’s Playgroup
- The Handicapped Children’s Playgroup received the UN Community Excellence Award- Ang Mo Kio Community Home for the Aged renamed as “AWWA Community Home for the Senior Citizens”.
- Centre for Multiply Handicapped Children (CMHC) was registered with the Ministry of Education as AWWA Special School.
- Pioneered the AWWA Therapy and Educational Assistance for Children in Mainstream Education (TEACH ME) Programme.
- AWWA TEACH ME won the Family & Resource Training Centre (FRTC) Innovative Programme Award in 1994.
- Commencement of AWWA Seniors Activity Centre
- AWWA Rehabilitation and Day Care (READYCARE Centre) commenced operations.
- Launch of AWWA Early Years Centre to provide early intervention for children with special needs from birth to 6 years old.
- Commencement of AWWA SMILES, after school care centre for children with special needs. – Launch of AWWA Centre for Caregivers
- Launch of AWWA Resource Centre
- Introduction of AWWA EXCELerate Services for young adults aged 18 to 25 with GCE ‘O’ Level and below.
- Accreditation of AWWA READYCARE Centre by the Ministry of Health (in line with the Ministry’s new regulation) as a rehabilitation centre meeting its service requirements. – AWWA was conferred with its inaugural President’s Award for Volunteerism (Non-Profit).
- First non-profit organisation to be shortlisted as one of the finalists for HRM Award 2014. – Launch of the revamped AWWA READYCARE Centre that provides holistic rehabilitation services to seniors with physical challenges.
- Launch of AWWA Personal Care Service (Disability), AWWA Personal Care Service (Disability Plus) and AWWA Personal Care Service (Seniors)
- Launch of AWWA Dementia Day Care Centre
- Launch of “Kindle Garden” – Singapore’s first inclusive preschool.
- AWWA Allied Health Professional Group was started
- Official opening of AWWA Early Early Intervention Centre at Blk 660 and 661 Hougang